Today is Shrove Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras (Hence the picture below), the day before Ash Wednesday, and last but not least . . . Pancake Day!!
The reasoning behind Pancake Day is actually kind of cool:
Basically, this celebration’s roots are in the pagan festivals of Slavics that intended to ward off the evil gods of cold and darkness. Pancakes, originating in the 15th century, symbolized the sun and feelings of warm weather, and they marked the impending beginning of spring. Different ingredients used in making the pancakes represented different values of the Christian faith:
- eggs for creation
- flour for a basis of a human’s diet
- salt for wholesomeness
- milk for purity.
Pretty neat, huh?
So, in honor of Pancake Day, I made . . . Pancakes! Shocker, I know.
If you want to make the super simple pancakes I made . . .
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 1/4 Cups Krusteaz Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon of Sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 Cups Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 cup of pureed banana
Here’s what to do:
- Preheat griddle to 350
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Add in all wet ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Pour around a 1/4 of batter onto griddle per pancake and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Makes about 15 (4 inch) pancakes
Are y’all celebrating Pancake Day? If so, let me know what flavor pancakes will be gracing your plate in the comments section below!! 😀
Hope y’all have an awesome Pancake Day!!